Saturday, April 3, 2010

Good News and Sad News

We'll start with the good news.  I consider myself an pragmatic optimist (is that an oxymoron?), so we'll start happy...

Tim and I decided today that we will be going to the CHI Reunion this summer for sure.  (I still need to send in our reservation).  Some friends (my friend - from when I worked in Mexico - and her husband - from the states) are planning to join us there.  They are not a CHI family, but are seriously considering adopting a baby from Colombia.  They have a 4-year-old daughter adopted from Guatemala as a baby and would like to adopt another baby now but can't go back to Guatemala (because, as some of you know, that country is currently closed to adoption).  I keep trying to get them to consider special needs adoption, but I know that isn't for everyone :-).  CHI said that they would love to have them and we are excited to be going this year.

Last weekend we had family pictures taken.  We went to an actual photographer this time instead of going to a department store.  I wasn't really pleased with our department store photo experiences.  I always feel rushed to make a decision and they don't tend to photograph large groups of people very well (bad composition, bad lighting, rush rush rush).  We spent over an hour with this photographer just for the shoot.  We then got to come back and spend another hour with her looking at and selecting the proofs (in a slideshow of digitals).  Much nicer experience and much better pictures to choose from.  I hope to be able to post one soon.

Yesterday the kids were out of school for Good Friday so I was home from work and had scheduled appointments with the pediatrician.  Oscar and Diana both had their appointments yesterday, Claudia and Mayerly go on the 30th (when school is out again).  Oscar went from the 12th percentile in height and weight to the 25th percentile.  Diana went up a little in height percentile and down a little in her weight percentile (which is good because she was a little chubby - said the pot about the kettle - when we first came home).  Hopefully her height will catch up with her weight at some point.  Dr. Kirby-Diaz said to keep doing whatever it is that we are doing and that she was very happy with their progress this year.

Yesterday was a busy day.  We also had our 3rd post adoption visit with Nikki, our social worker.  We had a pretty good visit.  We also discussed our up-coming "recognition of foreign adoption" hearing that is next Friday.  She gave us a run-down on what to expect, so we will be more prepared.  We started this process back in October, but had to wait for a copy of the original adoption decree (the Spanish one that we did not have a copy of - we just had a translated copy) from Colombia.  We finally got that at the beginning of March but couldn't get a court date until April.  I'm just happy to be marking one more thing off our list of "post adoption things to do".

Now the sad news.  We took Hank (our dog) to the vet last week to have a bump on his front leg looked at.  Turns out it was a tumor that was growing very rapidly.  We had it removed (also yesterday).  The vet said that it was not a "good" tumor either (the kind that is encapsilated and just "pops out" in surgery).  It was growing around the main artery in his leg and into the skin and pretty much everywhere.  We decided to have it biopsied to see if there is anything we can do that won't cost too much.  He more than likely has cancer, we just need to know what kind of cancer before we decide what to do next.

We have to keep poor Hank in a kennel for a day or so (which he is very put out about).  He has to wear a "cone" (the vet calls it an "Elisabethan collar") to keep him from licking his stitches.  We had to go back to the vet to get him some tranquilizers this morning because he would not calm down after we brought him home yesterday until after everyone (including Tim and I) went to bed last night.  He's still freaking out - even with the tranquilizers - but it's not as bad as last night.  It's very sad and hard to watch him have to endure all this.  He has had to have surgery before, but it is harder now that he is older and we have four kids and another dog.  Too much activity (that he wants to be a part of) going on...


Dan and Karen said...

Always nice to have more good new than bad news. :) Congratulations on almost completing the rest of the paperwork! I was so glad when we were finished with everything.
We are hoping to come to the reunion, but I need to do a little trading around at work in order to have the days off.

A said...

Poor Hank. That is sad. Will you be able to post a photo once they're ready?